2.15.2012

First Timer!


Aside from my birth, I spent my first night in the hospital last week. Everyone who knows me (for the most part) already knows what happened, but I know if I don't blog about this then it will go unrecorded and eventually I'll forget it all, so...
It started on Wednesday. Every Wednesday, we have a Modern Family party night with our friends and we switch off making dinner for each other. It was the other couple's turn to make dinner so we went over there and had our usual get together. I was starving when I came home from work and so before David and I headed over there I had eaten a bunch of different things. We were sitting on their couch and after about an hour my stomach started feeling not so hot. We were about to play some games but before we did I started feeling much worse. David knew it must have been something more than just a simple stomach pain because I will rarely pass up an opportunity to play games. We got home at about 10pm and I showered hoping that would make me feel better and then went straight to bed. By 11pm I was sicker than a dog with horrid abdominal pain and everything that I had eaten in the last several hours was violently leaving my body in half hour increments. In between sessions, I started researching flu and food poisoning during pregnancy to make sure that I was the only one taking the brunt of the sickness and not the baby. The more I read the better I felt, but there were a few symptoms that made me think that I should call the OB Triage at the hospital just in case. I spoke with a midwife and told her that I had abdominal pain and couldn't keep anything down and she told me that I needed to go to the hospital right away. This scared me because I expected her to tell me I was fine and that it wasn't serious enough to have to go in and would be passing fairly soon. It was 3am, so I woke David up and we headed to the University Hospital. When I got there, the first thing they wanted was a urine sample. I was so dehydrated that it took a good while for me to be able to produce anything... it also didn't help having a nurse standing outside the bathroom door listening. I changed into a gown and got on the hospital bed and she tried to get a blood draw. Again, I was so dehydrated that she was having a rough time getting any fluids out of me. She kept adjusting the needle and trying to find an angle to get some blood flow coming but it didn't work. That was really fun. She eventually got some blood and then they hooked me up to a machine that monitors the baby's heart beat and shows if my uterus is contracting. Little did I know, I was having contractions every 1-2 minutes. I wasn't able to feel them and so I really had no idea. I don't quite understand how I was having them so often and couldn't even tell. Once they saw this, they examined me and found that I was dilated to a 2.5 and was 60% effaced! That's not great news when you're only 33 weeks. So at that point they decided to check me in to Labor and Delivery and try to keep this Little Tiny from coming. They hooked me up to an IV and gave me lots of contraction and nausea medication so I would feel better. They also gave me a steroid shot to develop the baby's lungs faster. It was by far the longest night of my life and I know it was pretty long for David too. The next day they did an ultrasound to make sure that everything was alright with the development of Little Tiny. They found that as of last Thursday he weighed 4 pounds 11 ounces and that his head is measuring in the 98th percentile! Not the news I wanted to hear! On a somewhat positive note, my doctor did tell me that the chances of me delivering at the full 40 weeks is pretty slim. Her guess was anywhere from 34 to 38. With a pumpkin headed baby, I gladly welcome his arrival a week or two early! Our hope is that he comes around the 37 week mark. We want to make sure he is as healthy as humanly possible and would love for him to not have to stay in the NICU. The doctors didn't know what it was that initally made me sick, there really is no way of knowing, but I encourage anyone who is pregnant to make sure they get their fluids because that was one incredibly miserable experience.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about this Robin that is so sucky!!! But I'm glad everything is okay with your baby boy. I hope the rest of pregnancy is smooth for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Robin :( I know how scary that can be. We'll be praying that little man stays in there a little longer and that his lungs are tough. But isn't it comforting to know that no matter what happens modern medicine is such that that can take good care of him even if his lungs are a little week. Love you and I'm here for you if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete